Denture fitting is one of the treatment methods to deal with missing teeth due to extraction, dislodging due to collisions or accidents, or due to certain health conditions. Dentures are installed with the aim of restoring the function of the teeth as a means of chewing food, helping a person speak properly and clearly, and supporting the cheeks and lips so they don't change due to the void cavities in the missing teeth.
Dentures can not only be placed on one or more teeth, but also for all the missing teeth. In addition, there are two types of dentures namely removable denture and fixed denture. Well, usually there are still many patients who are confused about what kind of dentures should be installed to solve the tooth loss problem. Of course, both types have their respective advantages and disadvantages. Before determining what type to install, the doctor must also check the patient's condition first to adjust the right type of denture for the patient.
From the name, we can tell that removable dentures are dentures that can be removed and replaced. Removable dentures are made of plastic or plastic and metal. There are three types of removable dentures, namely conventional, intermediate and overdentrue.
- Conventional dentures can only be installed some time after the extraction of your teeth. This means that you have to wait for your gums to fully heal before you insert your dentures.
- Intermediate or immediate dentures are dentures that can be inserted as soon as you have extracted your teeth. The doctor will certainly confirm the condition of your gums in advance. With this type of denture, you don't even need to spend some time with toothless teeth because after the tooth is removed, you can immediately install the denture to fill the empty tooth cavity.
- Overdenture dentures are dentures that are placed over natural teeth that are still remaining or have not been extracted.
How to treat removable dentures is actually not that complicated. You only need to soak in clean water when the dentures are not used and you also need to wash the dentures with special products from the dentist.
There are several types of permanent dentures, namely crowns, bridges, and dental implants. All three are permanent or cannot be removed like removable dentures. You can get this type of denture if you are the type who doesn't want to be complicated. But in terms of price, of course, permanent dentures are more expensive than removable dentures.
- Crowns or dental crowns are artificial teeth made of several materials depending on their quality. Crowns are generally used for teeth that have not been fully extracted, or that have only been partially damaged.
- Bridge as the name suggests, is a denture that functions like a bridge. A bridge is usually installed to replace some missing teeth. However, a bridge requires the adjacent tooth to help support the missing tooth and requires a tooth that is in good condition and healthy.
- Dental implants are a good choice for those of you who have lost one or more teeth but don't want the hassle of having to remove them. Dental implants are placed by implanting titanium metal into your tooth bone as a strong foundation for the denture on it.
Mouth Healthy, https://www.mouthhealthy.org/en/az-topics/d/dentures
National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library for Medicine, https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK279192/